Our Compton Hall site, along with its stables, coach houses, yard, servants' quarters and lodge, was originally built in the mid 1800's for Thomas Elwell, a local hardware merchant.
Surrounded by 4.5 acres of beautiful woodland and gardens, the site was later passed down to artist and designer, William Morris, who went on to create a floral fabric called 'Compton', which still retails to this day. Morris' design can been seen on the ceiling of our Stephen Morton room, within the Compton Hall site.
1914 - 1918:
During the first World War, Compton Hall houses evacuees, and also became home to nurses who were working at the Midlands County Eye Infirmary.
Counsellor Stephen Morton lead a petition for Compton Hall to be used as a care facility for patients with terminal illnesses. With the help of the National Cancer Relief, the Regional Health Authority and Wolverhampton Rotary, £454,000 was raised to turn the old hall into a 16-bed Inpatient Unit. The doors were officially opened in February 1982 by Dutchess of Kent.
Compton underwent significant refurbishment, turning the then 22-bed unit into an 18 private bedroom ward, each with en-suite and full hoist system.
In November 2016 is was announced that £1.5million generated by members of the Unite Union branch of Goodyear Wolverhampton will fund the development of an extensive buildings project, which aims to enhance the services offered to families living with the effects of incurable illnesses in Wolverhampton and the surrounding areas. The project, which will see a sizeable regeneration of Compton's current facilities, as well as the development of a purpose, built community co-ordination centre, will be funded by the former 5/344 Transport and General Workers Sick and Distress Fund from the Goodyear plant.
Today, over 70% of our work is carried out within the community, with teams of Clinical Nurse Specialists, Healthcare Assistants and supportive care staff visiting people in their own homes. Our patient and family services are split across 2 sites, Compton Hall, and The Cedars, and include an 18-bed Inpatient Unit, Day Therapies Centre, Supportive Care Centre, Lymphoedema Clinic and Community Care Teams.
In April this year we launched our new 5 year strategy, new vision, mission and values, alongside a brand new visual identity for Compton Care.