Yesterday we held an information morning at our Grade II Listed Compton Hall site in partnership with The Arts Societies of Wolverhampton and Wrekin.
The two art societies have joined forces to record the William Morris designed interior of Compton Hall and to research the collection of art, tapestries, furniture and objects that were once housed at Compton Hall collected by the then owner Laurence Hodson.
Laurence Hodson inherited Compton Hall from his father William Hodson in 1895 as well as his father’s interest in the Springfield Brewery, W. Butler & Sons, becoming its chairman in 1893.
William Morris visited Compton Hall in 1894 and Morris & Co redesigned the interior for Laurence Hodson including designing a wallpaper called ‘Compton’.
A scaled down version is available today and formed part of the new decoration scheme for the coffee shop in the lodge at Compton Care.
Laurence Hodson commissioned a second of only three sets ever woven of the Edward Burn- Jones Holy Grail tapestries to hang on the walls of the drawing room – these very tapestries are now at Birmingham Art Gallery.
The Hodson collection has now scattered far and wide. The research is ongoing by Wolverhampton and Wrekin Arts Societies.
At the end of the project there will be a record with photographs of the interior of Compton Hall plus a set of heritage information boards on the walls of Compton Care’s Coffee Shop detailing the history of Compton Hall, its William Morris interior and the important collection it once housed.